How can we improve Boxer for Android?

Improve battery usage

On my Samsung Galaxy S4, the battery usage of the app has skyrocketed of late. It seems to be downloading weeks worth of messages on my Gmail account after a couple of updates back, and I don't think that is useful and is a likely cause of the drain. I uninstalled and reinstalled (losing my Pro license from the text-5-friends promo), which helped for a couple of hours, but the problem returned. This really needs to be fixed ASAP.

116 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark Anderson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nexus 6p, Android 7.1.2 - massive battery drain from boxer app. Any suggestion

• Edewaal97 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have the same problem. I'm running a OPO on stock COS 5.1.1. (i'm running beta boxer)
        Hope this helps:
        e-mail (23%) is using more battery than my screen (14% 3h45m SOT).
        Check out:
        http://i.imgur.com/vdbF7WO.png

Wakelockdetecter has the next cpu wakelock (no screenshot because of privacy)
        com.boxer.email (27 m 25 s)
        *sync*/com.boxer.email.provider/com.boxer.exchange (17 m 35 s)
        *sync*/com.boxer.email.provider/com.boxer.email/ (5 m 28 s)
        *sync*/com.boxer.email.provider/com.boxer.exchange (3 m 1 s)
        *sync*/com.boxer.email.provider/com.boxer.email/ (57 s)
        *sync*/com.boxer.email.provider/com.boxer.email/ (19 s)
        *sync*/com.android.calendar/com.boxer.exchange/ (1 s)

• Sasa B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Sirs,

battery usage is really strong with this app (even with Pro Version which I bought recently). Please fix this because this makes our devices unusable.

BR,
        Sasa

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Batteri drains with version 2.6.3 (241) on my OPO. unplugged 08:00
        Battery uasge 46% - Approx. 4 hours left.
        Boxer uage 32% without using the app!!

Please fix ASAP since I battery wont last 8 hours :-(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have any of you guys experience duplicated contacts as well?

I noticed the excess of battery drain, the phone was a little bit warm and it appears on the battery usage report "DCMProvider" but as soon as I turned off the Contact Sync in accounts, everything went back to normal.

When I checked, all my contacts from my exchange account (Office 365) were duplicated, some of them were added 10 or more times.

I have the Pro + Exchange version, I scaled the case to Boxer but no response or whatsoever so far.

Anything?

Thanks!

• Andreas Rohr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It keeps my phone from going into deep sleep.
        From 2 hours on battery, Boxer keeps it 1:45 active for no reason.
        Version 2.6.3 / Note 4 / Cyanogenmod 12.1

• Gene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I installed version 2.3.0 (209) this morning and it appears to have resolved the battery drain problem. Thank you, Eddy, and the rest of the Boxer Android team.

Gene

Huge batterie drain in 2.2.1. Checked email 2 times today. 16% batterie drain. Screen just 10%. Normal was below 5%

I have three accounts: one Gmail, one IMAP, and one Exchange account. I'm using it on a Motorola MotoX with Android 4.4.4.

About 90% of my data usage is Wifi and 10% 3G/4G.

I intended all along to uninstall EE once I am confident that Boxer will work reliably. There has been no visible failure, but I will go ahead and uninstall it in case there is some background conflict between the two that is causing some extra processing cycles.

Thanks for your help, Eddy.

Gene

I'm running 2.1and Boxer is responsible for 65% of battery usage. By comparison, my old Enhanced Email usage is 0.26%. This is a huge problem.

• Michael Schmitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely NOT fixed if you have an account with a lot of email incoming. I've got an account with about 200 emails/day or more and boxer kills my phone very reliably. Also on the S4. I've resorted to using K-9/Gmail instead for that account. HELP!

• kumootje commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using now 1.3 release. I'm extensively using my phone for all sorts of usages, however Boxer is not being used today. I still see a battery drainage from Boxer, using up tp 15%
        I only have 2 email accounts, being gmail. (sidenote: my mobile data usage has skyrocketed with Boxer, it is by far the highest usage and I don't see option to limit my email period to last one or two months or so)

Still reporting that Boxer is draining the battery with high CPU usage? I have 1.2.6 Pro + Exchange and I sync my contacts and calendars. Please help.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've only had 1.2.6 installed for a couple hours but so far so good, looks like battery usage and temps are back to normal.

• Chris Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Eddy. I've already got it installed. Currently testing it with 1 standard Gmail acct set to push, 1 Gmail apps acct set to push, 1 AT&T (Yahoo) email (POP) set to check daily, one Outlook acct set to check daily, and 2 IMAP accounts set to poll every 2 hours. I'll report the results on the G+ beta page.

• Asyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Eddy, changed Gmail from push to polling and it seemed to bring things down a little -- still above 40% battery usage.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a bit of a titanium backup rookie... probably dumb luck that i had a backup to roll back to... and it was a bit of a hassle to get the backup to work... I couldn't just "rollback" I had to uninstall boxer then reinstall it from the backup and then resetup all my email accounts.

• Asyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Darn, I have titanium, but didn't fiddle with setting so I don't have a backup history to pull it up. How many backups do you keep? Yea, speaking of driving people away I'm about to ditch it -- it's been one week of this and the silence from Boxer is not cool.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base