How can we improve Boxer for Android?

Different background shades for read/unread messages

Currently whether the messages are read are indicated by a blue dot, which is not very obvious. Maybe I'm accustomed to other email clients which all shade the messages grey on the conversation list. It might be a conscious design decision, but it's the major frown upon short coming after I switched from gmail default client.

471 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just switched from Outlook to Gmail on the recommendation of a technical expert. Gmail seems to lack many of Outlook's great features such as the ability to see unread emails, the ability to sort by Sender, Subject, etc.; the ability to highlight emails so the highlight will be noticed; and the ability to format emails using Word-like commands. Emails seem to disappear at random. Perhaps this is my ignorance, but no one can tell me how to get around these issues. Can someone recommend a basic Gmail user guide that will make it more user friendly and make the emails look more professional?

• seiferfloseiferflo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Confirmed in 2.6.1, it now looks fine for me. Thanks a lot for the addition Eddy.
        I remove my votes.

Please please google!make read and unread distinction.
        Also more option on the swipe.

• seiferfloseiferflo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3 The differentiation between read/unread emails is not obvious enough. This impacts our productivity. The dot on the left side is not a sufficient visual indication.
        Not sure about background color, but I'm sure there are ways of improving this.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Near future? Waiting for the fix for almost one year. It has the highest vote count but still in "gathering feedback" status!

• MCMC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any chance of getting this out in the near future?..it is really hard to differentiate between read and unread emails.

• grandtmpgrandtmp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you really want people to swich to boxer?

This blue dot is horrible for those who came from other email clients (GMail, android default aosp email, k9, yandex and many other)

However some mail clients already use something like this (yahoo uses both bold text and a dot)

You should make it optional at all !!!

There must be option to make read mails reqular text and unread mails bold text, also change unread mail background color.

Please remove the blue dot or make it optional.

Unread mails should have bold text and different backgroud color. read mails should have regular

• Garrett KelleyGarrett Kelley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has taken me a while to get used to the fact that the subject is always in bold and the blue dot is used for read status. Coming from other email clients the blue dot isn't very intuitive. I was used to the subject text bold/not bold being used for read status. However, after a week or two of using boxer my behavior has changed. I'm used to looking for the blue dot now.

I agree with the comment about making these options and not forcing it for all. I personally would like to have Unread emails have bold text and Read emails shaded gray. If some want a variation of that, it would be nice if there were choices.

• Pravin gangwarPravin gangwar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found it really difficult to distinguish between read and unread emails just. I would really prefer bold and normal appearance like gmail app over a dot.

• Tim BackerTim Backer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe bold the subject and sender + make the background a light shade of the account color (low alpha) for unread, then normal weight and slightly grayed background for read?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let the color shade be selected by user (color wheel). Also, please add another color shade for starred messages.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base