How can we improve Boxer for Android?

Keeps downloading same messages over and over

I am using POP3 and have several email accounts all set to leave the messages on the server so they will be available to my desktop computer.

I downloaded all the mail (354 messages). I then selected them all and deleted them. At the bottom of the window it showed 354 deleted. The Combined inbox was empty. I then pulled down in the area for the list of messages, and it downloaded the same 354 messages again. I am able to reproduce this at will. Using the Refresh command downloads the same messages over and over also.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bill H shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dave C
        I am getting a similar issue. No unread emails in any of my inbox, however 39 in the unread folder? If I go through them again and delete them, then they come back.
        It gets frustrating having to keep deleting the same emails over and over again.
        Please fix this or advise me if it is my settings.

• Alejandro Rodriguez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also happens with my trash and junk mail. I added two folders to combine my trash and junk folders from all my emails into these. But each time I deleted the emails it kept coming back. I deleted the folders but now I keep getting notifications that I received junk mail and they are the ones I previously deleted, though I don't have notifications turned on. I like boxer but if this keeps up I may be forced to change to another app.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eddy,
        "Anon" is completely right. You *can* keep the messages on the server (for a limited time or even infinitely) and, at the same time, NOT download them with your e-mail client over and over again. Here, Boxer seems to have an internal database mismanagement.
        Actually, the POP3 protocol does not have any functionality for telling the server that one specific e-mail has been downloaded by one specific client already. So basically this is a client-side issue. Boxer needs to somehow remember whether it has already downloaded certain e-mails or not. Other apps can do that and they DO. Check out "TypeApp" for example. Yet, they these other apps do not have the cool swipe actions that Boxer supports. So: You should work on improving POP. I will then immediately change to Boxer.

• Johannes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Very frustrating as Boxer seems the only App around that offers a "unified SLASH combined trash folder". Please fix this asap! (And notify me when done.)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eddy,

Actually, that isn't true. I've been using POP3 for years and it leaves the messages on the server if I set it that way in my program and/or app (but you can have them deleted as well if you want to). On all the other apps I have been evaluating, it keeps track of which ones have been downloaded and doesn't download them again on the same device, but allows them to be downloaded on a different device. That way I can see all the messages on all my devices. Same with Thunderbird in Windows. This is the only app that exhibits this problem. Because of this problem, I've gone with a different app. Thanks for the reply.

Bill

• Eddy Witkamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

POP3 is not usefull for syncing messages acrosss devices, that's what IMAP is for.
        With POP3, messages are just deleted from your device, not from ther server, so that's why they come back at the next sync.

• Bill H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just realized that the same thing happens if I delete all the messages and then just let Boxer do an automatic check for email. I don't want to see these same old emails over and over again. is there some way to stop them from reappearing? This doesn't happen with any other email app I've tried, but I like Boxer.

Feedback and Knowledge Base