How can we improve Boxer for iOS?

Changing to unread should not auto advance to next item in list

Currently, when you look at an email and your view is in the unread view, and you change the status of the email back to unread, you are auto/advanced to the next item. If you want to stop processing emails at that time, you are out of luck, since you are constantly sending emails into read status by advancing to the next item in the list. This is most likely not what you want.

There should therefore be a possibility to turn off auto-advance for marking messages as unread/read.

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Egil Helland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Lorien G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!! Agree! In all my other mail apps I have a default setting to never mark as read automatically. I manually mark as read and process as required when I need to. Using the app on my iPhone is fine because I have it set to return to list and list and viewing pane are separate screens. On my iPad though return to list doesn't seem to do anything and it constantly auto advances as described by others here marking read as it goes. Very annoying! I avoid using the app on my iPad as a result.

• Clell Deaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Must have. Can't return an item to "Unread" status without automatically bouncing to the next item in the email list and marking it "Read"! I have to then hit "Mark as Unread" for each subsequent item as I get bounced to them, until I find myself finally reaching a message that I'm OK letting Boxer automatically mark as "Read." This loop needs to be eliminated, as it is a very repetitive and unnecessary waste of time. Thanks.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see three options:
    1. let the user decide
    2. mark it as unread and keep the user on the email
    3. mark it as unread and always return user to list so they don't have an unread email selected

In my opinion #2 is likely the most intuitive if you'd like to avoid yet another configuration option. #3 also makes perfect sense if the implementation is prohibitive to #2.

Feedback and Knowledge Base