How can we improve Boxer for iOS?

No Passcode when unlock code is set

My Exchange Account requires a passcode so Boxer will automatically ask for one when opened. I already have my phone set to use a unlock code to unlock it. Why do I have to use a passcode again? The iPhone mail app recognizes the fact that a unlock code is set on the phone and does not require another passcode to open Exchange mail accounts.

40 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ErnieErnie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Boxer SupportAdminBoxer Support (Admin, Boxer) responded  · 

Unfortunately, there is no way for Boxer to bypass the request from the Exchange server to force a passcode when opening the app. Boxer is a third-party application (the default email app is not considered to be so), and it would violate our terms with Microsoft to force a bypass of the pin code. We’d love to be able to make this an option, but I’m afraid it just isn’t possible. :(

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same issue on android. can't believe this policy is still active after almost 3 years! bye bye boxer.

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know what my passcode is. I tried my outlook password, my iPhone passcode, and AppleID password. No luck. It's frustrating. Going back to iPhone default mail.

• samsam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same!
        This is such an inconvenient deal breaker and is NOT the case with other email apps.
        I can't believe I paid money for this. With a paid email app I should get the BEST email experience for my money, not the most annoying one. seriously frustrating !

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have multiple exchange accounts, i am already have a pin set for the phone, the problem is new emails are not showing until you open the app and put in the password, outlook or any other mail app doesnt need the second pin code. please fix this, i paid for this app because it works better than most and its annoying now to keep putting in a pin code as i cannot see new emails.

After upgrading a few days ago (Boxer with calendar and contacts), it requires me to enter a pin. THis is stupid since my phone already uses pin entry due to Exchange policies. I definitely don't want to enter it twice. Unless Boxer changes this quickly, I'm switching.

I have the same issue but only after upgraded to the latest version on July 28, 2015. If Boxer doesn't allow me to turn it off, I'll switch to a different client. The phone already uses pin due to the company exchange policy.

• Vic SteadmanVic Steadman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using boxer on a passcode protected iPad means that the passcode is also switched on on Boxer and the ability to switch it off is greyed out. Consequently, when checking my emails, I have to activate iPad by entering my passcode then activate Boxer by entering my passcode. A bit of security overkill. It also means the flag with number of emails is never correct as boxer does not download in the background.

• Jan-Michael KolodoskiJan-Michael Kolodoski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other email apps including Microsoft's own "Outlook for IOS" do not require the double entry of password if the Exchange policy is set to require a password. I like your app but find it unusable. If you are unable or unwilling to get it right, say so, but do not claim you are right an all the other apps are wrong. Your app is good but in it's current state it is a waste of $5.00.

• Ralph LillicoRalph Lillico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used several different email clients, on Android and iOS, and none of them required an application passcode for my work Exchange account. They did require (and accept) the passcode on my phone at the system level. This is disappointing and an aggravation.

Ouch, just came across this and agree its a deal-breaker so it's back to iOS Mail for me. Bugger. Was enjoying the rest of Boxer.

• Rick PercivalRick Percival commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crazy and a dealbreaker. Boxer DOES NOT need to set an application level passcode. The Exchange security policy that requires a PIN is for the phone level pin code. Boxer does not need to set another one. This makes the application unusable, I just paid for the Pro version to enable Exchange server support to only find an incorrect implementation.

Great app, but you need to fix the way you have implemented applying Exchange security policies..

This is a complete no go for me. The standard email app on iPhone doesn't require a passcode coz one is already setup for the phone. Second the max time interval before you are forced to enter the passcode is 15 mins (4 hr option is grayed out). This is a bad implementation and need to figure this out with Microsoft.

Feedback and Knowledge Base