How can we improve Boxer for iOS?

Better rendering of HTML emails

Unfortunately, Boxer doesn't render some emails very well. If they contains some HTML tables the print is so small, and you can't "double tap" on the email to zoom it either. The ios Mail client is very intuitive and will enlarge the print and ignore some of the HTML table formatting.

Help me vote this as the FIRST priority!

198 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ken Ken shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve AbsolonSteve Absolon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also want to add that if HTML emails displayed as they do in the native mail app this would be a compete replacement for the Mail app in my view. I would have thought this core functionality of rendering emails correctly would be the highest priority. It's looks like branding of the app is more important.
        Will be recommending to anyone they avoid paying for this until this functionality is corrected.

• Derek DixonDerek Dixon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New user here, made the jump from Mailbox. After a week of testing all available apps purchased Boxer, is the best for my needs.

However, I design and test html emails and its fustrating to see that Boxer doesn't follow the rest in how to render html emails.

Hope to see this implemented soon.

• PhilMPhilM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if that helps: with latest version 6, I noticed that now, the improper rendering systematically occurs when first opening an email from inbox, then archiving or moving it. Then the next email will always render with improper formatting. It seems to take the wider html width (e.g from an HTML table) then zoom the full email out to fit the wider table in the screen, which makes the rest of the email unreadable.

• Andy PeterAndy Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just reinstalled Boxer after not using it for a few months. The first email I opened had text and an image. Only the image displayed, no text. I can't believe that this paid app can't perform as well as the free mail apps. This problem has been opened forever. I guess it is time to delete the app again and try back in the fall...

• Terry NewcombTerry Newcomb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This bug is a dealbreaker!
        What good is a f###ing MAIL program if you can't read mail on it?!?!?!?

• Jeremy WhaleyJeremy Whaley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also hoping for more advanced HTML rendering, but I wanted to pass along a setting that may help ease some of the pain. In the Settings under Advanced and then Privacy, the default for HTML rendering is set to Medium security and blocks inline styles. I set this to Low to allow inline styles and emails render better. Double tapping to zoom into text still doesn't work, but I wouldn't expect this setting to affect that at all.

• Keith DavisKeith Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After some further testing, it's not the @media or max-device-width specification that is the problem, Boxer ignore the class .hide class and / or the CSS display: none completely!

• Keith DavisKeith Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if this belongs in this issue, but I think so....

In all the stock iOS email app this works to hide content we do not want to see when on the device, but in Boxer, it does not work (the content is displayed):

@media screen and (max-device-width : 480px){
        .hide{
        display : none;
        }
        }

• Andy PeterAndy Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the ETA on this? Mailbox App, Gmail App, Acompli and CloudMagic apps render HTML messages perfectly. This is a killer.

• Mark LeeMark Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the absolute main reason I end up switching back and forth with the stock mail app. Tiny text on iPhone; huge text on iPad (especially in landscape mode).

• Paul EmmertPaul Emmert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And there's also the opposite problem, where message rendering is way too large. Fix this, and I'll be back.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base